On this page, you will find information and answers to frequently asked questions related to COVID-19 for all Stanford employees. For additional information specific to faculty/instructors and researchers/research administrators, please go to their respective pages.
As of January 27
- Stanford is following a phased recovery of university operations. We are currently in Stage 3 of the restart process. Learn more about Cardinal Recovery.
- Vaccination requirement. Stanford already requires all faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars and students (undergraduate, graduate and professional students) coming on-site to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. As a result of the Sept. 9th executive order, the university announced an expanded vaccination requirement that will apply to all university employees, including those working remotely in the United States, and applicable subcontractors. Compliance with the federal mandate requires that proof of vaccination status be uploaded to Health Check by Jan. 4, 2022. (The initial federal deadline of Dec. 8, 2021 has since been delayed.)
- Return to On-site Work. Learn more about the requirements and protocols for returning to on-site work at a Stanford facility and other tips to prepare for your return on Cardinal at Work.
- Submitting your Health Check, to self-report health status is required on a daily basis for employees and postdocs working in-person at a Stanford facility. However, fully vaccinated faculty, staff and postdocs who have (1) listed their vaccination date(s) and manufacturers in Health Check and (2) uploaded an image of their documentation on Health Check will not be required to make daily Health Check submissions when coming to campus (unless they become symptomatic or receive a positive COVID test result). For those uploading vaccination documentation for the first time, follow these instructions. For questions about vaccination reporting in Health Check, please refer to these FAQs.
- Face coverings. In compliance with public health rules announced Aug. 2, all Stanford employees, students and visitors will be required to wear face coverings in indoor spaces. Exceptions are allowed for individuals who are alone in a private office or room or actively eating or drinking.
- Surveillance testing. Regular surveillance testing is required for faculty, academic and non-academic staff, contingent employees and postdoctoral scholars who are working on-site, regardless of vaccination status. Also, employees who are unvaccinated are required to complete additional health and safety measures, including self-reporting daily health status in Health Check and increased weekly surveillance testing. All Stanford faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and upload proof of their vaccination status on Health Check by Jan. 4, 2022, unless they have a medical or religious accommodation. Dashboards provide aggregated results for the Stanford community.
- Travel. Fully vaccinated persons who have uploaded proof of vaccination to Health Check are permitted to travel domestically and internationally on university business. Unvaccinated persons who wish to travel internationally must first receive a travel exception from the university. Regardless of vaccination status, all individuals are required to comply with campus access restrictions and testing requirements following personal or university-sponsored international travel. Further details may be found at Stanford’s travel guidance page.
- R&DE retail cafes and markets are open in Stanford Redwood City, SLAC and the Main campus to students, faculty and staff. Dining hall access is currently limited to students, their children and registered partners/spouses with a green HealthCheck badge. If the positive trend continues, Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) expects to open the dining halls to faculty and staff during the fall quarter. R&DE retail cafes and markets are open to students, faculty and staff. See Stanford Dining locations and hours and retail locations and hours on the R&DE website.
- The Stanford Guest House located on the SLAC campus is accepting advance reservations.
- Stanford Catering is available to cater small meetings and gatherings across the campus and delivers healthy meal choices with sustainable ingredients freshly prepared right on the Farm.
An overview of all current policies and status regarding COVID-19 is available here.
Relevant policy information
Frequently asked questions for…
Providing a healthy and safe workplace is important at any time for Stanford, and is of paramount concern during the COVID-19 outbreak. We strive to provide the best care for our staff members and continue to operate as effectively as we can during this time of uncertainty. We are committed to providing updates on the latest developments and explaining how they impact our people and our workplace.
Find information and resources on pay continuation, remote work, prevention, and other topics related to working at Stanford during shelter-in-place.
Information and resources for Stanford Health Care staff.
Information and resources for contingent staff during shelter-in-place.
COVID-19 Workplace Guide (for employees)
COVID-19 interim policies
Employee support & self care
Return to On-site Work resources