On this page, you will find information and answers to frequently asked questions for researchers and research administrators at Stanford. For additional information for Stanford employees in general and information specific to faculty/instructors and postdocs, please go to their respective pages.
As of November 28
- Stanford-run programs and activities involving minors may operate on campus with the approval of the Dean or VP or their designee, subject to the COVID-19-related requirements and Protection of Minors policy requirements for In-person programs and activities involving minors. Such programs and activities will be open only to vaccinated minors ages 12 and up. Only on-campus Stanford-run programs are permitted; no off-campus or third-party programs are currently being approved.
- Travel. Fully vaccinated persons who have uploaded proof of vaccination to Health Check are permitted to travel domestically and internationally on university business. Unvaccinated persons who wish to travel internationally must first receive a travel exception from the university. Regardless of vaccination status, all individuals are required to comply with campus access restrictions and testing requirements following personal or university-sponsored international travel. Further details may be found at Stanford’s travel guidance page.
- Stanford is following a phased recovery of university operations. We are currently in Stage 3 of the restart process. Learn more about Cardinal Recovery.
- Research and some other essential in-person campus activities are operating on-site. Guidance for researchers is available. Undergraduate researchers who are enrolled in summer quarter and live in the local area may be approved to work in campus labs following an application/approval process outlined on the research recovery site. Otherwise, all researchers (faculty, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and research staff) in laboratories and offices may return to campus, without any requirement that their work can only be done on campus. Work Anywhere offers resources.
- Submitting your Health Check. Unvaccinated faculty, staff, postdocs working onsite are no longer required to submit Health Check on a daily basis. Regardless of vaccination status, Health Check submission is required for faculty, staff, or postdocs who are symptomatic, are a close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID, or receive a positive COVID test result. For those uploading vaccination documentation for the first time, follow these instructions. For questions about vaccination reporting in Health Check, please refer to these FAQs.
- Surveillance testing. Unvaccinated faculty, staff, postdocs are no longer required to surveillance test. Regardless of vaccination status, regular surveillance testing is no longer required for faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars working on-site. Fully vaccinated faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars are still encouraged to test after travel, if symptomatic or after exposure to COVID-19.
- See research administration guidance for sponsored projects.
- Appointments of visiting scholars are restricted.
- Stanford scientists have launched dozens of research projects as part of the global response to COVID-19.
An overview of all current policies and status regarding COVID-19 is available here.