On this page, you will find information and answers to frequently asked questions for researchers and research administrators at Stanford. For additional information for Stanford employees in general and information specific to faculty/instructors and postdocs, please go to their respective pages.
As of June 24
- Stanford-run programs and activities involving minors may operate on campus with the approval of the Dean or VP or their designee, subject to the COVID-19-related requirements and Protection of Minors policy requirements for In-person programs and activities involving minors. Such programs and activities will be open only to vaccinated minors ages 12 and up. Only on-campus Stanford-run programs are permitted; no off-campus or third-party programs are currently being approved.
- Travel. Fully vaccinated persons who have uploaded proof of vaccination to Health Check are permitted to travel domestically and internationally on university business. Unvaccinated persons who wish to travel internationally must first receive a travel exception from the university. Regardless of vaccination status, all individuals are required to comply with campus access restrictions and testing requirements following personal or university-sponsored international travel. Further details may be found at Stanford’s travel guidance page.
- Stanford is following a phased recovery of university operations. We are currently in Stage 3 of the restart process. Learn more about Cardinal Recovery.
- Research and some other essential in-person campus activities are operating on-site. Guidance for researchers is available. Undergraduate researchers who are enrolled in summer quarter and live in the local area may be approved to work in campus labs following an application/approval process outlined on the research recovery site. Otherwise, all researchers (faculty, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and research staff) in laboratories and offices may return to campus, without any requirement that their work can only be done on campus. Work Anywhere offers resources.
- Health Check to self-report health status is required for employees and postdocs working in-person at a Stanford facility. Daily Health Check submissions are not required for faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars coming to campus who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (documentation uploaded on Health Check) or fully vaccinated students on campus (documentation on the Vaden Health Portal) unless they become symptomatic, have a positive COVID test or are exposed to household members who have tested positive. Training on COVID hygiene is required before returning to work at a campus location for the first time.
- Weekly asymptomatic surveillance testing for vaccinated faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars and for fully vaccinated and boosted students (undergraduates, graduate students and students enrolled in professional degree programs) has been suspended. Twice-weekly testing continues to be required for faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars who are not fully vaccinated, and for students who are not fully vaccinated and boosted. Dashboards provide aggregated results for the Stanford community. See the Testing page for more information.
- See research administration guidance for sponsored projects.
- Appointments of visiting scholars are restricted.
- Stanford scientists have launched dozens of research projects as part of the global response to COVID-19.
An overview of all current policies and status regarding COVID-19 is available here.
Relevant policy information
Frequently asked questions for…
Search common questions about research continuity, laboratories, and other topics of interest.
Thanks and acknowledgements to UC Berkeley, University of Washington and Yale for their excellent FAQs.
If you have additional questions, please send them to email@example.com. Answers to FAQs will be updated by the Research Operations Continuity team as needed.