Surveillance testing, or regular testing for individuals who are not experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, is an essential part of Stanford’s response to the pandemic and a safeguard to minimizing the spread of COVID-19 within our community. Stanford introduced surveillance testing for faculty, staff and postdocs, as well as for students last Fall, and the requirements for those who have a regular presence on one of Stanford’s campuses.
This page provides more information about the testing programs available for affiliates/other members of the Stanford community.
Individuals involved with patient care
Stanford Medicine has launched a COVID-19 surveillance testing program with Color Genomics, which provides testing to physicians, clinicians, medical residents, fellows, and postdocs who work in patient care areas and perform clinical research in a medical setting. All employees across all Stanford Medicine entities are encouraged to test weekly using the Color Genomics self-administered testing program. All Stanford Medicine employees that are not experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms are eligible. Those who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should contact the COVID-19 Healthcare Workforce Response Team (HRT) at 650-497-9595 or SHC-VC OccHealth at 925-534-0230. Stanford Medicine employees should review hospital intranet sites for updated information.
Other Stanford affiliates
CardinalTemps, Stanford contractors, interns, vendors and affiliates
The health and well-being of all members of our community is extremely important. We are working with contractors, vendors, and other affiliates to identify the appropriate testing protocols for these populations in support of community health. At this time, Stanford is requiring that employees of contractors working in custodial, security, and childcare services be tested once each week they are scheduled to work on campus. Contractor testing for these groups is facilitated by the university through a parallel agreement Color Genomics. The contractors are responsible for their employee compliance and for informing Stanford of positive cases to ensure appropriate exposure notifications.
Other affiliate members of our community are encouraged to test through their healthcare provider, at one of Stanford Health Care’s locations throughout the Bay Area or through a County testing site.
Testing information and COVID-19 related guidance are being updated frequently. Please review the resources below, which may be dependent on your health coverage.
What happens if a vendor, contractor or affiliate tests positive for COVID-19? Those who test positive should self-isolate and refrain from coming to Stanford’s campuses. If an individual tests positive within 14 days of coming to Stanford, they should report the result to their Stanford supervisor or sponsor, who will complete the Contractor COVID-19 Case Reporting form.
COVID-19 Testing Options
County testing programs
- San Mateo County offers testing for anyone who lives or works in San Mateo County regardless of symptoms.
- Cost: There is no cost, but if you have health insurance, it may be billed.
- Appointments: For scheduling details, visit https://www.smcgov.org/testing
- Santa Clara County offers testing to residents per the County’s Testing Order.
- Cost: Testing is free regardless of immigration status, and no doctor’s note is needed. No up-front costs and no health insurance required. If you have health insurance, you will be asked to share that information.
- Appointments: For scheduling details, visit www.sccfreetest.org; Pop-up testing sites are also available with no appointment needed for individuals who are asymptomatic.
Stanford Health Plans and Providers
- Stanford Health Care (SHC) plan members may request a COVID-19 test and the system will triage scheduling based upon clinical priority.
- Cost: Testing cost may be covered in a variety of ways, including health insurance, COVID CARES Act or by Occupational Health, depending on the individual’s circumstances.
- Appointments: For scheduling details visit https://stanfordhealthcare.org/discover/covid-19-resource-center/testing.html or call 650-498-9000 or book an appointment in MyHealth.
- For Individuals who are NOT existing Stanford Health Care patients: Please contact your current provider first to inquire about COVID-19 testing. If testing is not readily available, you can contact Stanford Express Care at (650) 498-9000 for phone screening and assistance scheduling the testing.
- Kaiser plan members, anyone receiving urgent/emergency care at Kaiser facilities, and essential workers may request a COVID-19 test.
- Cost: Testing is free for Kaiser members through Dec 31, if Kaiser deems the test is necessary.
- Appointments: Visit kp.org to login and request a test. You may need to answer a few questions. Appointments are scheduled within 1-2 days.
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF). An evaluation by a clinician is required to determine if you need a COVID-19 test. If you meet testing criteria, your doctor or a clinician will order a test and refer you to a testing site.
- Cost: PAMF will charge the member’s health plan, but members may be responsible for a portion of the cost.
Appointments: Sutter Health members should start the appointment process by calling the COVID-19 advice line at (866) 961-2889.