Last modified on April 4, 2022
As of April 4, 2022, Stanford has aligned event guidance with the California Department of Public Health guidance for Mega Events.
Mega Events are currently defined as indoor events with 1,000 or more attendees, or outdoor events with 10,000 or more attendees. CDPH strongly recommends that indoor mega events verify vaccination and testing documentation. CDPH also recommends that outdoor mega events verify vaccination or testing documentation. If you are hosting a Mega Event and would like to conduct vaccination and testing documentation verification, please fill out this EH&S Health Guidance form.
Events should not set requirements separate from or more restrictive than university requirements (e.g. non-Mega Event events requiring vaccination/test verification).
Guidance for Events and Gatherings
Use the following guidance when planning your event or gathering:
- Event organizers are responsible for staying up to date on current event guidance, implementing guidance as recommended, and maintaining strong communication with attendees.
- Events that do not meet Mega Event criteria should avoid conducting verification of vaccination or negative tests. Mega Events should follow CDPH Mega Event recommendations.
- Social / morale events for staff are permitted.
- Off campus events for faculty/staff/units are permissible and may be reimbursed.
- Events may be held indoors or outdoors.
- A defined attendee list is encouraged.
- Staff and student attendees must complete the HealthCheck and COVID-19 testing requirements, where applicable.
- Attendees must follow all face covering requirements. See Health Alerts for the most up to date policies.
- All forms of food service are allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, buffets, self-service, potluck style, passed trays, served appetizers, open bars, beverage stations, standing and seated dining, in addition to individually boxed/prepackaged or plated food and drinks.
- Information on Food Trucks and the Food Truck schedule can be found here.
- Use 25Live or MedScheduler (School of Medicine) or contact the appropriate office for reserving a space on campus. Conditional approval of your event does not guarantee a space, so please coordinate with the appropriate facility scheduler to ensure a space is available. Some indoor spaces on campus might be unavailable for general use.
- Discuss AV Support, tables, chairs, and other event needs with Events Services.